Sep 25, 2014

Fitness is a Journey

“The individual who says it is not possible should move out of the way of those doing it.” 
― Tricia Cunningham



I am now six weeks into Beach Body's T25 workout. This is actually the first time I've been able to stick with an exercise regiment schedule consistently for a month. When I examine why I am bent on getting fit, its really hard to pinpoint. I think life is pretty chaotic and unpredictable as is. My health is something I know I can control, and if I can have mastery over the habits and routines that I set about my body, this keystone habit affects other things: energy level, concentration, confidence, you name it.

In the past I've tried p90x, I had to stop after 3 weeks due to exercise burnout (actually advised by my family physician at this time when I started to feel fatigued, saw decrease in performance, etc.); and Jillian Michaels Body Revolution,  I completed, but the 90-day exercise program took me 6 months since I only completed it sporadically rather than following a set schedule.

So what was different this time? Well, I actually made the effort to establish a "habit" of exercise. I found it really difficult to exercise consistently just based on motivation only. Sometimes I don't always have the willpower to exercise. So I set out to do a couple of things:

  • Switched my exercise routines to the morning: This freed up my evenings, and I no longer spent the entire day dreading my exercise routine once I got home,  and was tired from work and my commute. I just got up and exercised, and this routine became so automatic I didn't have to think about or "talk" myself into it. I've done this consistently for the past 6 weeks (x36 days), usually after a month of doing something everyday, its pretty solidified as a habit.
  • Tracked my food intake using a calorie-tracking app: Simple, but calorie-tracking also forces me to be conscious of what I eat. I remember seeing a fitspo quote on Instagram about how its easy to exercise for 30 minutes a day, whats harder is controlling what goes into your mouth the other 23.5 hours. I actually find both very hard.
  • Eating less quantity, more quality: I've only recently started calorie tracking (two weeks ago) and I've noticed that I'm eating less quantity, but more quality, nutrient-rich foods. I'm opting for healthier alternatives for junk foods. If I find myself craving something sugary, I stop by the grocery store and pick up 1 pint of fresh raspberries, and just munch on those like chips. A healthy alternative that doesn't make you feel as sluggish.
  • I've budgeted in a "cheat day": My contingency plan for days I go out with friends, or if I go to a family reunion and there's a lot of "Food pushing" that happens, is that I have a "cheat day". Now I don't consciously go out and seek bad food. I allow myself one day a week where I might eat more than I normally budget for during the week. And thats okay, 6 out of 7 days a week I'm eating healthy anyway. No guilt. 


 

 


To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook.
You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin

See more posts on fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment