Dec 29, 2013

Pink Ombre Cake Icing





What you need:

  • Icing
  • Three bowls
  • Pink Food Colouring
  • Spreading Knife or Spatula
  • Spoon
  • Fork

Step by Step Instructions:

1. Make your buttercream icing, the one I used in this example was the Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting recipe. Split into three bowls:


2. "Dirty ice" the first layer; expect crumbs to combine with icing in this step. This will be the base that will allow you to ice overtop without a crumb layer. 


3. Next add six drops of food colouring in one bowl, three drops in the next bowl, and one or no food colouring in the last, mix thoroughly:


4. Ice on one inch (or 50% of the height of the cake) with the darkest colour evenly:


5. Ice the next 50% with the lighter pink colour. I of course realized AFTER the fact that ombre cakes work better if you have taller cakes. I made do and added the pink over the edge. 



6. Add the lightest colour the the top surface. If I were to do this again however, I would cover the entire top surface with white as this does look much better instead:


7. To create a smooth gradation of colour (i.e. the ombre), use the edge of a spoon or spatula to blend the two colour edges together:




8. I then used a fork to create a unique pattern on the side (a wavy "ruffle" effect) and sprinkled the top with red sprinkles:



Pulling this off was a lot easier than expected and the result didn't look half as bad as I thought! I definitely will continue trying to make cakes and hopefully I'll improve with each time. 



 
To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook. You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin

No comments:

Post a Comment